Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Are You Living Your Mission?


“How can I be useful, of what service can I be? There is something inside me, what can it be?” ~Vincent van Gogh

Why am I here on this planet? What is my gift to the world? What is my mission?


You are blessed with a You-nique purpose, or a MISSION. This is your overall life goal or vocation, what you are meant to do on this planet. It may also be called your “calling” in life, your “contribution” or “gift” to others, or your “legacy” once you are gone. Viktor Frankl, the author of Man’s Search for Meaning, discusses a specific vocation or mission in your life for you to fulfill and implement; therefore, your life is unique and cannot be replaced or repeated.


Recently I spent a few hours with needy kids working with art projects, allowing them to express themselves with art. For a couple of hours, these kids forget about the hardships in life and enjoy the moment, despite their limitations. I reassessed why I do what I do, and reaffirmed part of my Mission to inspire and empower others to do what they are passionate about to help make a difference in the lives of others.


Here are just a few examples that my clients have given as their Mission:

• To create art for others to appreciate
• To entertain and make others happy
• To inspire and motivate others
• To educate and train others
• To make a difference in your community

• To create a product or service that others need

You may already know your Mission and are working toward it, especially if you’ve been established in your craft or industry for some time. But it you haven’t yet discovered your calling, self-reflection may help you realize and determine if there is a larger purpose or legacy that you may not have considered before.

One excellent approach from Steven Covey’s book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, is to begin with the end in mind by envisioning your own funeral and what you would like to accomplish before you pass away. It was due to this introspection a few years ago, combined with “divine inspiration,” that I realized my life’s mission. This discovery was the impetus for resigning from my corporate job, starting my own business, and creating a charitable organization. This inner search also inspired me to reassess all my goals in life.


Remember that we are all connected on this planet and as such have a greater contribution beyond our own selves. Start with what you love and are passionate about, and it’s sure to guide you to a greater, You-nique Purpose or legacy. That’s what makes life worth living!
 

“Art to me is a humanitarian act and I believe that there is a responsibility that art should somehow be able to effect mankind, to make the world a better place.” ~Jeff Koons

This article is derived from Ch. 1 on Discovering Your Unique Purpose from my success program Sculpt Your Life From Sketch to Masterpiece(TM), with many practical ways to discover your Mission. This e-book program presents 12 crucial strategies for success, starting with your inner purpose, and designed to motivate you to set and reach your goals, overcome obstacles and ultimately lead your Masterpiece life!

No comments:

Post a Comment