After reflecting on Dr. King’s life, these are my five main takeaways that can be applied to become successful mission-driven entrepreneur and visionary:
1. Having a "Dream" and Vision: Dr. King’s iconic "I Have a dream" speech lays out his desire for a world where freedom “rings” and we are empathetic toward our neighbor. Creating change started with his dream..a vision..which translated to a mission so clear Dr. King would not stop until it was fulfilled.
2. Taking Action with Determination: The Civil Rights movement didn’t happen overnight and certainly did not prevail after Dr. King gave just a few letters and speeches. It took many years of sweat, toil, pain and relentless action... a series of small steps forward toward his Mission, which led to something much greater over time.
3. Courage to face fears and take risks: Just the thought of Dr. King delivering his speeches and leading marches in some of the most discriminatory parts of the country gives me chills. He was walking a very dangerous path; yet it is in facing our greatest fears that we find our inner strength to overcome them and find the right path to our Mission.
4. Finding a support system: Although Dr. King was an inspiring and powerful leader, he knew he couldn’t pull off his Mission alone. This unified dream, sense of community and strength in numbers propelled the movement forward and fueled Dr. King’s efforts even when he was down.
5. Persistence to pursue one’s Mission despite obstacles: Certainly Dr. King faced self-doubt and insecurity throughout the pursuit of civil rights. He and his supporters faced much worse: criticism, death threats, persecution, imprisonment, assault and ultimately death. But his faith and persistence to fulfill his Mission was so strong that he was willing to die attaining it. The unified Mission was so powerful that it continued to inspire and motivate change and progress even after death.
I hope that we can remember these same lessons whenever we feel ourselves challenged and facing our own struggles, or want to quit before living our Mission. When our dream is so strong, there is no way we can turn back.
Remembering some lines from his famous "I have a Dream" speech:
“We cannot walk alone.
And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead.
We cannot turn back."
Sculpt Your Life From Sketch to Masterpiece(TM) discusses these and many more success strategies based on great masters from the past. Although not specifically cited in my book, Dr. King is certainly considered one of the great masters in our history. This e-book program presents 12 strategies for success and is designed to motivate you to increase your productivity, reach your goals and ultimately fulfill your purpose and lead a Masterpiece life!